FANDOM


  • This female tiger's face is shaped much differently that the similar faces of Officer Fangmeyer and the Tiger Dancers, the latter of which are probably men~ 
    Tigergirl
      Loading editor
    • Hmm, you're right. Good eye! And she is clearly female and a tiger. 

      Yeah, I'd say it's safe to assume that Fangmeyer is male, then. Great job! :D

        Loading editor
    • Ahh, thank you!~ ^3^

        Loading editor
    • Nice job!

        Loading editor
    • Ggianoli wrote:
      Nice job!

      D'aww, thank you too!~ =D

        Loading editor
    • I have a feeling that Fangmeyer would be a male.

        Loading editor
    • Just popping in to say that this is all conjecture. There is no outright statement to Fangmeyer being male or female, just a bunch of visual cues.

        Loading editor
    • True, but I do think the visual cues the movie gives us are enough to prove his gender.

        Loading editor
    • That's right. If you saw the picture above you, that is a female.

        Loading editor
    • Two points to consider. First, adult female tigers have a large weight range (from 140 lbs to 370 lbs), so using a picture of a smaller tiger as justification that a large one isn't the same gender is not very good evidence. Second, it has also been pointed out that in a number of the shots from the movie (particularly the briefing room scene, where Fangmeyer is holding a steel coffee mug) that the tiger is wearing eyeshadow. This isn't necessarily proof that the character is certainly female either, but with possible evidence for both cases and no official ruling from Disney, using this size comparision argument as cited proof in the wiki to say Fangmeyer is male is shaky at best. It would be far better to put the charater's gender as 'unknown' barring a definiative ruling from Disney. 

        Loading editor
    • DisneyFan314 wrote:
      Two points to consider. First, adult female tigers have a large weight range (from 140 lbs to 370 lbs), so using a picture of a smaller tiger as justification that a large one isn't the same gender is not very good evidence. Second, it has also been pointed out that in a number of the shots from the movie (particularly the briefing room scene, where Fangmeyer is holding a steel coffee mug) that the tiger is wearing eyeshadow. This isn't necessarily proof that the character is certainly female either, but with possible evidence for both cases and no official ruling from Disney, using this size comparision argument as cited proof in the wiki to say Fangmeyer is male is shaky at best. It would be far better to put the charater's gender as 'unkown' barring a definiative ruling from Disney. 

      I appreciate you using actual facts in your debate, but usually cartoons like these tend to make females the smaller ones and more often than not forgo some (if not most) anatomical accuracies.

      This entire Fangmyer gender debate has been going on between users for quite a while, but I believe that we should keep Fangmeyer's gender on his/their article as it is and not change it anymore.

        Loading editor
    • Emiemi345 wrote:
      DisneyFan314 wrote:
      Two points to consider. First, adult female tigers have a large weight range (from 140 lbs to 370 lbs), so using a picture of a smaller tiger as justification that a large one isn't the same gender is not very good evidence. Second, it has also been pointed out that in a number of the shots from the movie (particularly the briefing room scene, where Fangmeyer is holding a steel coffee mug) that the tiger is wearing eyeshadow. This isn't necessarily proof that the character is certainly female either, but with possible evidence for both cases and no official ruling from Disney, using this size comparision argument as cited proof in the wiki to say Fangmeyer is male is shaky at best. It would be far better to put the charater's gender as 'unkown' barring a definiative ruling from Disney. 
      I appreciate you using actual facts in your debate, but usually cartoons like these tend to make females the smaller ones and more often than not forgo some (if not most) anatomical accuracies.

      This entire Fangmyer gender debate has been going on between users for quite a while, but I believe that we should keep Fangmeyer's gender on his/their article as it is and not change it anymore.

      I make the suggestion that it should be labled as unkown for a couple reasons. First, the gender really isn't known and citing a speculative thread as proof is bad writing form by any academic or journalistic standard and degrades the reliability and reputation of the site. (It is this kind of citing that is one of the primary problems for Wikipedia as well). Also there are conflict arguments to this one considering the eyeshadow theroy. Given the evidence from the movie both arguments have some merit and as you said, this topic on Fangmeyer's gender has been debated for a long time in the fandom. That, is the last and probably the most important point.

      This topic has long been debated with not offical ruling from Diseny on it, and this wiki is seen by many as a realiable source of Zootopia information. I have seen numerous arguments were this wiki's Fangmeyer info page has been used to ruthlessly hammer opposing views becuase 'the wiki said so'. Given that many do not take the time to actually examine the topic in any depth, I would like to see this wiki live up to its generally very good reputation for providing accurate information. Keeping Fangmeyer's gender listed as 'male' might be the simpler easier option, but it is factualy inaccurate and misleading to most readers. At the very least it would be better to say the character is 'assumed male' rather that stating it as fact. 

      This might seem nit picky but these kind of distinctions between facts and assumptions have a tendancy to snowball into bigger arguments. I take pride in the efforts made to keep websites like Wikipedia as accurate as possible and I hope that the content moderaters for this well respected site do the same. 

        Loading editor
    • These are all very good points~

      Thank you for taking the time to bring this up; I suppose we should keep the gender as unknown, I'll do that right now in fact~ =)

        Loading editor
    • Emiemi345 wrote:
      These are all very good points~

      Thank you for taking the time to bring this up; I suppose we should keep the gender as unknown, I'll do that right now in fact~ =)

      And thank you for your work in helping to moderate this site; it takes a lot more effort than most will ever appreciate to to maintain these sites fairly and accurately, particularly when it comes to the little details. 

      As for the proposed theroy here, kudos for finding that detail about the tiger reporter in the movie. It is a well reasoned and believable argument and if it weren't for that detail about the eyeshadow I would have been thoroughly convinced by it. (Granted even then it would still be unconfirmed speculation, but it would have been the uncontested front runner in the theories of Fangmeyer's gender) 

        Loading editor
    • How nice of you to say! You are very welcome!~

      Well I do love details~ X3

        Loading editor
    • DisneyFan314 wrote:

      Emiemi345 wrote:
      These are all very good points~

      Thank you for taking the time to bring this up; I suppose we should keep the gender as unknown, I'll do that right now in fact~ =)

      And thank you for your work in helping to moderate this site; it takes a lot more effort than most will ever appreciate to to maintain these sites fairly and accurately, particularly when it comes to the little details. 

      As for the proposed theroy here, kudos for finding that detail about the tiger reporter in the movie. It is a well reasoned and believable argument and if it weren't for that detail about the eyeshadow I would have been thoroughly convinced by it. (Granted even then it would still be unconfirmed speculation, but it would have been the uncontested front runner in the theories of Fangmeyer's gender) 

      Well here we go again...

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.