Bateman rose to prominence as a high-profile adolescent actor in the 1980's, in sitcoms such as Silver Spoons and The Hogan Family, before returning in the early 2000's in the role of Michael Bluth on the critically acclaimed sitcom Arrested Development.
For the sitcom, he won a TV Land Award, a Golden Globe, and a Satellite Award.
He has since established himself in Hollywood by appearing in several films, including Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004), Juno (2007), Hancock (2008), Up in the Air (2009), Horrible Bosses (2011), Paul (2011), The Change-Up (2011), Identity Thief (2013), Bad Words (2014), Horrible Bosses 2 (2014), and The Gift (2015).
He guest-starred in The Fairly OddParents and he guest starred as himself on The Muppets (2015).
- Bateman described his character, Nick Wilde, as "a crafty, sarcastic schemer".
- He starred with J.K. Simmons in a few movies such as Juno and Up in the Air.
- He co-starred with Alan Tudyk in Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story.
- He and Kristen Bell co-starred in Couples Retreat.
- He and Jenny Slate starred in The Longest Week.