David Koalabell is a short, grey-furred koala. He has brown eyes and a large, black nose. He often carries around a briefcase and microphone for reporting. He wears a green suit with a light green collared shirt underneath. His tie is striped orange and yellow.
David's name was chosen by fans at a poll on the Walt Disney Studios Facebook page. Out of the three options, David Koalabell - which David Campbell had stated to like - was announced to win over "David Camkoala" and "David Camkoalabell" on February 14th, 2016.
Role in the Film
He and his co-anchor describe Zootopia as a "city gripped by fear", as they report a caribou in critical condition as a result of a mauling by a savage polar bear, the twenty-seventh case of the week of a predator going savage. They also discuss Gazelle's peace rally.
In their second and final report in the film, they announce that Assistant Mayor Bellwether, the mastermind responsible for making the predators savage, has been arrested. They also discuss Mayor Lionheart's denial of any knowledge of her plans and actions, and an antidote for those affected by the night howlers, which is proving effective.
- David's portrayal differs based on certain regions' version of the film.
- In the Australian and New Zealand versions, he remains David Koalabell.
- In the American, Canadian, and French versions, he is Peter Moosebridge, a moose.
- In the UK version, he is still Peter Moosebridge, but is renamed Moosos Alexander.
- In the Japanese version, he is Michael Tanuyama, a Japanese raccoon dog.
- In the Brazilian version, he is Onçardo Boi Chá, a jaguar.
- In the Chinese version, he is a panda.
- Excluding Boi Chá, all of David's different animal variants make cameos in the Zootopia promotional poster.
- David Koalabell is a reference to David Campbell, who voices him and is a model of him.
- ↑ 'I am thrilled!' David Campbell shares his excitement at voicing a koala in forthcoming animated Disney adventure Zootopia, January 21st, 2016
- ↑ Zootopia's Koala Newsreader has a name - introducing David Koala ball! Walt Disney Studios (AUNZ) on Facebook, February 14th, 2016
- ↑ The One Character Zootopia Changed For International Audiences, CinemaBlend, March 6th, 2016
- ↑ Ricardo Boechat vai dublar personagem brasileiro em nova animação da Disney (Ricardo Boechat will dub Brazilian character in new Disney animation), UOL Entertainment, December 5th, 2015
- ↑ Tweet from Byron Howard revealing different newscasters per movie version, March 5th, 2016